Friday, June 28, 2024

My Crochet Beaded Weighted Blanket

June 29, 2024

This is not necessarily a tutorial - just my story about how I’m making a crochet beaded weighted blanket. I am terrible at keeping notes while Im on a project, so will blog as I go!


Supplies - this is what Ive purchased to start with, I know at this point I will need more yarn and beads to complete a blanket 3' wide by 4' long. My guess is it will be 8ish lbs when complete.

- 3 skeins Red Heart Super Saver Yarn, 7oz 

- 4 x 1lb bags of pony beads, mixed neon colours 

- 4.00mm hook for HDC rows

- 3.00mm hook for bead rows

To begin, I chained 161 stitches with the 4mm hook. In second ch from hook I did a HDC in each stitch across (160 HDC total). I chained 1, turned and changed hook to 3.00mm.

To add a bead, keep loop on hook and slide on bead. Place hook into next stitch and yarn over, pull through stitch so you have 1 loop, the bead and 1 loop on hook.  


Yarn over and pull through loop/bead/loop on hook. HDC in next stitch. Repeat bead stitch/HDC until end of row. 


And then I just repeated a row of HDC and a row of the bead stitches. 

Be sure to count your stitches after each row! I made a mistake in row 10. I missed the HDC between 2 beads ugh, it wasn’t until a few rows later that I noticed. I wasn’t about to frog all that work, but having 159 stitches (79 beads on bead rows) across seemed to be ok. 



Update July 12 - pics of progress today! Ive done36 rows so far, slower going than I hoped but we got a kitten and she's a menace when I crochet haha.