Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Red Wine Vinaigrette Coleslaw {Recipe}


I'm a big fan of cabbage, and love eating it in the summer time.  What I'm not a big fan of is creamy dressing on coleslaw, I'm a vinaigrette girl through and through.  Coleslaw is an easy side in the summer, and this has a tangy fresh dressing that is quick to make and easy to double if you need something to take to a bbq.  I must make it 2 times a week in the summer.


In a container with a lid (mason jar works great) put in the following and give it a good shake, and let sit for about 10 min.  After sitting, shake up again, toss with 1 bag of prepared coleslaw cabbage and then let marinate for at least 20 minutes. The longer this sits, the better it gets!
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp celery salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • couple pinches of salt

If you don't have red wine vinegar, you can also use white vinegar and a tbsp of red wine.

11 comments:

  1. I've never even thought to make my own coleslaw. This looks good! (And easy - bonus.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coleslaw but like you, I'm not a fan of the creamy dressing. I'm definitely going to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds perfect for a summer bbq!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! I love any coleslaw....creamy, vinaigrette....any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fav of mine too. Celery salt makes it sing! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used this recipe for 50 -70 people and it was great. I used the large bags of slaw from Cosoco and tripled the ingredients. It worked well because of using wine vinegar instead of mayonnaise and not having to worry about it. Great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, happy it turned out well for you. This is a great recipe for big parties like that.

      Delete
  7. making this with red cabbage, grilled salmon, and basmati rice tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this today - doubled recipe except for sugar - very good - will make again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about olive oil and no celery salt?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My variation:

    1 bag of prepped slaw mix
    2 tbsp pecan oil
    1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup chopped pecans (raw)
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1/4 cup chopped basil, mint, parsley, OR cilantro (preference)
    2-3 stalks chopped green onion
    Salt & pepper to taste

    ReplyDelete