Monday, April 1, 2013

Earwarmer Headband {Crochet Pattern}

April 1st already, wow.  Where has the first 3 months of the year gone?  As fast as time is flying, spring certainly has not sprung yet here in Alberta.  Don't get me wrong, it's been nice this past week with temps in the low teens but the forecast for Wednesday is for a chilly 2c with freezing temps in the pm until the weekend. 


Some parts around my town still have snow on the ground and it's not unheard of for a big old dump of snow well into May.  Or June!  With some frosty mornings still to come while we wait for winter to end, here is my pattern for a crochet earwarmer headband.






Hook - 5.5mm (I)
Yarn - 4 ply worsted

Stitches used:
ch - chain
st - stitch
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
dec - decrease

To begin ch 4 and sc in second chain from hook and in next two chains.  Ch 1 and turn.
2 sc in first st, sc in next st, 2 sc in last st (= 5sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.
2 sc in first st, sc in next 3 st, 2 sc in last st (=7sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.
2 sc in first st, sc in next 5 st, 2 sc in last st (=9sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.
2 sc in first st, sc in next 7 st, 2 sc in last st (=11sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.
2 sc in first st, sc in next 9 st, 2 sc in last st (=13sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.

Hdc in each st across, ch 1 and turn. Repeat for 39 more rows for a total of 40 rows.
After 40th row, ch 1 and turn. Sc in each st across. Ch 1 and turn.

Dec sc in first 2 st, sc in next 9 st, dec sc in last 2 st (=11sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.
Dec sc in first 2 st, sc in next 7 st, dec sc in last 2 st (=9sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.
Dec sc in first 2 st, sc in next 5 st, dec sc in last 2 st (=7sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, ch 1 and turn.
Dec sc in first 2 st, sc in next 3 st, dec sc in last 2 st (=5sc,), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in first 2 st, chain 2, skip 1 sc and sc in last 2 st. Ch 1 and turn - this is your button hole row.
Dec sc in first 2 st, sc in chain 2 space, dec sc in last 2 st (=3sc), ch 1 and turn.
Sc in each st across, fasten off and weave in tail.

On the end without the button hole, sew on a button in the 2nd row of stiches (this is about 21" from the button hole).  The button I used was 3/4 inch. Use the tail from the start row to sew on the button, then just weave in.






When the headband is finished, it should be about 22" long end to end unstretched. Need it smaller or bigger? Just add or subtract rows in the hdc section of the pattern.


My favorite flower pattern is by Oodles 4 Noodles and can be found here.  The reason I like it so much, is you make it in the round and you don't have to sew it together after you're done.



For flower placement, I fold the headband in half, then place the flower just near the crease and sew.





This is the first pattern Im sharing!  As of the original post date, the only person who's tested it is me :)) if you  give it a try and have any questions / comments or find any errors, please please let me know. I would also love to see your finished creations.




You may share this pattern with a link back to mrsbrits.blogspot.ca, you can also do anything you wish with your finished creations. There are thousands of crocthet patterns online, while I did create this one on my own, if you do find a duplicate it is purely coincidental. I ask you do not copy the pattern and post as your own.

xo Erin

17 comments:

  1. So cute!! And if it snows in June I'm blaming you for putting the suggestion out there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I need to make one of these for Eliza. I've pinned it so I don't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking of you and your cute stuff because I freeze my ears off every time I walk the dog. Too stubborn to wear a hat at this time of year. ;) Love these! And jealous of your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im having trouble with the patter forbthe flower... I guess I cany seem to understand the whole in front of loop directions... how did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Each crochet stitch has two loops, here is a link showing how to crochet in the front loop only. Hope it helps :) http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/crochet-in-the-front-or-back-loops-of-a-stitch

      Delete
  5. I've just started with your pattern and I just want to make sure.
    Shouldn't I ch 2 before every turn instead of ch 1? The way I have it is for hdc you ch 2.

    Love the headband. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anine! Usually I do a ch 2 with hdc as well, but I found with 1 on this pattern it keeps the edges snug and the headband wont stretch out with wear. It's totally your preference though, if you try it with a ch 2 let me know :) thanks!

      Delete
  6. I made two of these and they came out awesome! :) Thanks so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, so happy you enjoyed the pattern!!

      Delete
  7. Such a cute pattern! I plan to make a couple as Christmas gifts. Thanks so much for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They work up pretty quickly too!

      Delete
  8. I have made several of these and the pattern is awesome. Thanks so much foe posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for the comment :) happy you like the pattern! They are a nice quick gift.

      Delete
  9. I love this pattern! I've made several for my friends and one for myself and everyone loves them! I found worsted weight wool to use & it just makes the bands that much warmer. Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please update your link on the flower. One word is missing which is essential to the link. Correct link is: http://oodles4noodles.blogspot.com/2011/07/no-sew-ruffle-rose-ribbed-headband.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know! Ive updated it, looks like her domain changed :)

      Delete